A growing number of French want to settle in the USA in the hope of a better situation. Finding a job, having a bigger salary, paying much less tax than in France. There are no motivations.
However, it can be complicated to get out of the country, because in most cases you have to go through the process yourself. But where to start ? What information is required to successfully install? What are the first steps?
Several questions come to mind when a person wishes to leave in the United States. Is it even a possibility? Or a fantasy?
The first step is to do an online search. Internet is a mine of information. Then, a tour with the local bookseller will allow to deepen this first research: books, CDs, videos … it is not the sources of information that are missing. But you will agree: too much information can lead to paralysis. In addition, we must ensure that these sources are current.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- If I bring my belongings with me, how far in advance should I prepare the transport with a mover?
- Have to be in good health, or at least have medical insurance that can follow me?
- How can I get coverage in the United States?
- What type of visa do I need? Does ESTA program cover expatriation, or only short stays? And how long before my departure do I have to apply for a visa?
- If I owe my spouse who is transferred to the US for his job, do I have to resign from my own job? Or are there other possibilities, such as leave without pay, sabatic years, etc.?
- If we have children, what are the steps to follow for school enrollments?
- For French students, what are the most suitable choices in terms of schooling?
- How long before you get a visa?
- Do I have to notify the French tax authorities?
- Are pets accepted without quarantine?
- To find accommodation, do I have to go through agencies? Does it take a long time to find suitable accommodation?Here are some basic questions you should ask yourself before moving to the United States. Have a nice trip !